Newquay vintage surf meet coming soon ....

Newquay vintage surf meet coming soon ....
We buy interesting old boards 60s/70s/early 80s in good condition. Email alasdairlindsay75@gmail.com . Also wanted - Surfing UK , British Surfer and Surf Insight magazines .
Above photo - copyright Rennie Ellis photographer archive

Friday, 26 March 2010

Bilbo longboard

Here's my first vintage board, a Bilbo 1966/7 longboard, 9'8 x 23 x 3, shaper unknown. It says Roy Clerk on the stringer, CJ says thats someone he went to school with so its probably who the board was made for, not the shaper.
I got this board around 1994 when I was up at my dad's friends house in the lake district. We were walking round the garden and I saw a large mound of moss with a pink fin sticking out. I asked him what that was and he said its a longboard he bought 2nd hand in Newquay in the early 70s, and if I could fit it on my car I could have it. Lengths of rope and string later it was tied to the roof and I was off to sample 60s surfing. I loved surfing it but didn't get my next old board for a couple of years.


It nicely has its original Newquay UDC malibu registration no 0010 , no date on it but its an early one. Other nice early features are the double stringer and gelcoat union jack - CJ has another couple of bilbos with similar jacks on. It a great board to surf, virtually no rocker on the deck and slim 50 50 rails.














A stack of Bilbos leaves the factory, mid 60s.






Me in 1994, proud new owner of a vintage Bilbo, the best things in life are free.








Pair of Bilbos, I found the other one in a garden too, and sold it to my mate Nick.









No comments:

Post a Comment